Jeff Hoffman delivers a ‘Wonder-Full’ Talk to TEDxWallStreet
Lights, Camera, Jeff! — That’s my quick summary of TEDxWallStreet.
Seriously folks, it’s not every day that you see a huge TEDx banner covering half of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). No surprise, expectations were high and the speakers delivered. Kicking off the day, author Don Tapscott gave a rousing and relevant speech on the future of Wall Street and the need for integrity, collaboration and transparency, giving great examples of how to make these values matter to your organization. Another great speech was closer David Rose (Co-founder: Singularity University) who discussed redefining success from a corporate context to an individual context and cited Reid Hoffman’s (Sorry, no relation to Jeff) book The Start Up of You. Lastly, I’d like to give a special shout out to ColorJar friend and ally Sergio Fernandez de Cordova (founder: Fuel Outdoor), who gave a terrific talk on media and the need to use it before its shelf life expires.
Our own Jeff Hoffman’s presentation was the most TED-like (I may be biased but I speak the truth!), encouraging audience members to break from their everyday routines to info scrub and wonder about the world like 5 year-olds. The impact for those that do this can be monumental and Jeff backed it up with real world examples from his own success in founding Priceline.com alongside Jay Walker, and from the powerful example of a down to earth retail store owner otherwise known as Sam Walton. But you don’t have to just read my summary, you can watch the talk below:
This terrific event culminated in the speakers ringing the closing bell of the NYSE and later a cocktail reception on the floor of the Exchange! Frankly, it was a great event and our TEDx organizer team consisting of Jonathan Ende, Brad Lane and Samatha Wright could not have been more helpful. Taking Jeff’s high level ideas and boiling them down into a 12 minute TED talk was no easy feat and we couldn’t have done it without them. (Incidentally Jeff nailed it in 11 minutes and 2 seconds- we have calls into the Guinness Book and he’s a contender.)
Below is a selection of Twitter love:
- NYSE Euronext @NYSE_Euronext: It is important to wonder about everything like a child does. Successful and innovative people do this. @ColorJar‘s Jeff Hoffman #TEDxWS
- Mona Ahmed @MsMonaAhmed: How do we lose the ability to wonder? @ColorJar brings us to reality and makes us think like a child! #tedxws
- J. Russel Fugett @JRussellFugett: #infospunging – “Gather information from a world bigger than your own. Jot it down & connectTheDots.” -Jeff Hoffman #TEDxWS
- Chris Skinner @Chris_Skinner: “Remove the filters from your mind” if you want to reinvent things #JeffHoffman #TEDxWS #TEDxWallStreet
- Ali O’Rourke @NYSEali: I will be info-sponging starting tomorrow. Great idea @colorjar #TEDxWS
Tags: Jeff Hoffman, TedX